Remember when it was just you and your husband and you went on dates all the time? The days before kids, crazy schedules, life and pure exhaustion! Remember how the day couldn’t go by fast enough until you could see him again and those conversations that would last forever. And although we try really hard to hold true to those early promises, life does happen and fitting a date in can be complicated and sometimes so much work that it doesn’t seem worth it. The truth is half the battle is just getting a date night on the calendar.
Ladies, you know your husband better than anyone else, and only you know how to best encourage and bring out the best in him. But sometimes it helps to build off other people’s ideas in order to form your own. Here are 15 ideas that I hope will spark your thinking about how you can date your husband all over again…
1. Make a list of 10 things your husband loves to do. Each time you go on a date, do one of those 10 things as your date.
2. Take up a new hobby with your husband; do something new that you’re both excited about.
2. Recreate one of your favorite dates with your husband or your first date!
4. Take a quarterly getaway with your husband throughout the year. Each time go somewhere new with him.
5. Devote one hour each night for alone time with your husband. Ask him about how his day went and let him talk. Joke around with each other. Cultivate your friendship.
6. Mark your husband’s birthday, your wedding anniversary, and Father’s Day on your calendar every year and plan to make those days extra special.
7. Write a love note to your husband. Tell him all over again what he means to you.
8. Spend an evening stargazing with your husband and talking about dreams you have for the future. You can even reminisce about all you have been through and where you are going.
9. Read a book together or do a study together that will keep you engaged with each other. Take 20 minutes several nights a week to read and discuss.
10. Visit your roots. Visit where your husband grew up and where you grew up. Learn more about each other’s backgrounds. Never stop being a student of your spouse!
11. Hold your husband’s hand often, in public and in private, and tell him that you love him.
12. Go on a picnic in your bedroom: put the kids down early if you have to, spread a blanket, pack some fun food and enjoy!
13. Work out together, go for a hike or a long walk and don’t forget to shower together too!
14. Surprise your husband with something new and get away from the norm! Give him a WOW by doing something out of the ordinary and unexpected.
15. Vacation with your husband without your kids, without your work, and without your cell phone and computer.
“Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.”
Also see: Why Dating Yourself is Fun
Tracie Nolde lives in Atlanta, GA with her husband, Jeff, and their three children, Camden, Chase and Kennedy.